To teach with passion, to seek and radiate new knowledge with vigour, and to participate in building our nation's digital base with commitment and integrity.
- Develop education and research in frontier areas such as algorithm engineering, computer systems, machine learning, cyber security, human-computer interaction, & Artificial Intelligence at par with this department's reputation in theoretical computer science.
- Develop large research programs with government and industrial funding.
- Develop a critical mass of faculty, undergraduate researchers, MTech/MS/PhD students and post-doctoral fellows in target areas.
- Develop a funding level from sponsored research and consultancy that is unparalleled in India.
- Develop presence in online education for scalable dissemination of knowledge nationally and internationally.
- Try to recruit more women and minority faculty and researchers and continue to improve the environment conducive to women & minority faculty.
- Make the department a great place to work for all employees and students.
- More ONLINE courses (currently a few MOOCs have been offered MOOCKIT) and Start Online certification courses.
- More specialized PG courses (Systems, Machine learning, Security, formal methods).
- Increase Funding Level by encouraging and mentoring younger faculty in writing research proposals (In 2014 project funding 1.5 crores per year and it improved to more than 8 crores/year over last 4 years, we want to increase to 10 crores per year in external research funding, and 2 crores per year in consultancy).
- Increase Faculty Strength from 35 to 50 in 5 years (In last 4 years, we increased faculty strength from 25 to 35).
- Increase PhD student strength to 100 in 5 years with a steady graduation rate per year between 10-15 graduations. In last 3 years we increased PhD student strength from 30 to 70+
- MS by Research program introduced. Goal is to have a steady population of 15 MS students (currently 5 allowing project engineers to enroll in MS by research program).
- Increase Systems and Data Science area faculty Strength by 5 in each area (In the last 3 years we increased systems area faculty from 6 to 11 and Data Science faculty from 2 to 5).
- Recruit more post-doctoral fellows and INSPIRE Faculty (In the last 2 years we went from 0 post-doctoral fellows to 4, and 0 INSPIRE faculty to 2).
- A New building for the Cyber Security Center is in progress which will vacate some space in the main buildings – creating space for increase in faculty strength.
Most of the government funds for research projects disallow spending any funds for foreign travels. However, faculty needs to travel to international conference.
We already have Research-I foundation that enables us to spend travel funds for international travels to conferences and research missions. However, with increasing number of faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and PhD students, this fund is falling short, and we need to create a corpus that can generate enough yearly interests to accommodate the increased need for travel and research missions. We also, would like to supplement initial salaries of deserving outstanding faculty and PhD students to attract them to the department.
Some exploratory research funding on a competitive basis from faculty, students, and postdoctoral fellows can also be funded.
To raise Rs 100Cr over three years (2019-2022).
For further questions, on the mission/vision/strategy/requirements please contact head[at]cse.iitk.ac.in